Filming

December 18, 2009 at 2:49 pm (Uncategorized)

On Saturday I did my first part of filming. We started at 8am in Bury, and completed it at around 9.50am. The filming was mostly successful, but we came across a few problems. Because we were in town so early, we didn’t have a problem with too many people or anything like that. However, we did have a few problems in the arc, as we found out a few days before that we weren’t actually allowed to film there. I only needed two short shots though, so we chanced it and were luckily not told to stop filming. Most of the problems osccured whilst filming the shoplifting scene. The idea I had for this section did not work very successfully, as the Mobility Scooter I borrowed did not go fast enough to keep up with the actors running. I was also running out of time at this point, as all the actors and I had to be somewhere else as 9.45am. I think I can work around this and just change my opening sequence from my Animatic slightly. Either this or I will have to reshoot after working out another way to get the right shots I want.

I finished my filming on Monday 14th December. I travelled to Coventry so I could film on location at my brothers house. The filming went well and did not take too long. There were a few lighting issues, but we managed to sort them out. The main problem that occurred whilst filming was getting the camera in the right position, as the house is quite cramp without much room in the corridors. Because of this several shots were filmed without using the tripod, but because it is a Social Realism film, it doesn’t matter if some of the camera work is slightly shaky. Other than this, filming ran smoothly, and I am especially pleased with the acting, as during the first shoot I think there were a couple of issues with the acting during the abuse scene between the male and female subjects. However, my brother has had lots of acting expreience and was a real professional.

Advertisements

Permalink Leave a Comment

Production Schedule

December 8, 2009 at 2:32 pm (Uncategorized)

Another vital part of pre-production is the Production Schedule. This tells the the director when, where, who and what is needed for each filming day, and which shots that will be filmed on that day. All this information is set out in a table like the one below, showing my Production Schedule.

 

My Production Schedule turned out to be really helpful, as it helped me organise times for picking people up and meeting people. It also showed me which locations I had to go to and any extra information or props I needed to know about it.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Storyboarding & Animatics

December 1, 2009 at 9:39 am (Uncategorized)

Now I’ve finished all my Market Research and know what my audience want from a Social Realism Film, I can start Storyboarding and making the Animatic for my Opening Sequence on iMovie. An Animatic is vital for filming, as filming without an Animatic is far more time consuming and can become confusing and muddled. I am estimating that my Opening Sequence will be about 30 shots, all of which need to be drawn and labelled with the appropriate information and then photographed for my Animatic.

Important Information to be included in Storyboarding and Animatics

  • Shot Number
  • Shot Type
  • Camera Angle
  • Camera Movement
  • Editing – Transitions, Effects etc.
  • Duration of Shot
  • Sketch of the image that matches the Shot Type and Angle
  • Brief Description of the Action
  • Any Diegetic/Non-Diegetic Sound

I also need to compose the music for my Animatic and Opening Sequence. The score has to be fast tempo and with a distinct beat, as most of the cuts will be made on the beat. I will use GarageBand to compose my score, that must last the right amount of time to fit with my Animatic. 

Below is my finished Animatic!

I think my Animatic is really successful, as it follows the brief and depicts what will happen in my actual finished opening sequence. I chose to make the majority of the shots quite short so the sequence remains quick paced throughout to match the music and atmosphere of the film. I especially used teh quick cuts and close up shots in the part where the character Gaz abuses the character Annie, to add tension and drama. I decided the freeze frame shots with the characters names should last longer, as they are fully establishing the characters and their names. I also chose the two close up shots of the two charcters Declan and Steve for similair reasons, as establishing shots of the characters. The whole point of an Opening Sequence is to establish locations and characters, so I think establishing shots of the characters is neccessary.

Permalink Leave a Comment